The Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy is one of the world´s leading research institutions in the fields of psychology and psychiatry. As of 2016, the Institute consists of five chairs, namely
- Professor Hans-Ulrich Wittchen (Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Director and Chairman)
- Professor Katja Beesdo-Baum (Behavioural Epidemiology and Prevention)
- Professor Jürgen Hoyer (Behavioural Psychotherapy)
- Professor Corinna Jacobi (Eating Disorders)
- Professor Tanja Endrass (Addiction)
- Sen.-Professor Gerhard - Work group Addictive Behaviors, Risk Analysis and Risk Management (Addiction)
Devoted to the training and education of clinical psychologists and psychotherapists, it contributes to the Psychological Department´s curricula for Bachelor students in Psychology, organises the Masters programme for clinical psychology and psychotherapy as well as the 3- and 5 years post graduate programmes for PhD students as well as "Psychological Psychotherapists" according to the German law.
Since 2015, the IAP - TU Dresden GmbH at the Institute of Clinical Psychology got the state approval to start a postgraduate programme for "Children and Adolescent Psychotherapists".
In research, our Institute uniquely combines psychological sciences and neurosciences with epidemiological approaches as a "cornerstone methodology" in the field of disorders of the brain, with an emphasis on the developmental pathways and treatment of anxiety, depression, substance use disorders, as well as neurological and somatic diseases.
Major contributions are: state of the art studies on the size, the burden, and the cost of mental disorders, the development of "symptom progression and comorbidity models", the development of widely used novel diagnostic tools as well as novel behavioural treatments with emphasis on innovative cognitive-behavioural interventions and the neuro-psychological mechanisms of action.